PDA

View Full Version : Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat: a Compendium of Grammatical and Linguistic Treatises

Amr
06-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Assalamu 'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

More than 15 years ago I purchased at an Iranian bookshop in Cape Town a two volume compendium of grammatical and logical treatises (mutun) entitled: جامع المقدمات مع التصحيح والتعليق، الشيخ محمد على المدرّس الأفغاني (or Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat in short).

The first volume contains the following 9 mutun:

(1) Kitab al-Amthilah
(2) Kitab Sharh al-Amthilah
(3) Kitab Sarf Mir
(4) Kitab al-Tasrif
(5) Kitab Sharh al-Tasrif
(6) Kitab 'Awamil al-Jurjani
(7) Kitab 'Awamil Manthumah
(8) Kitab 'Awamil Mulla Muhsin
(9) Kitab Sharh al-'Awamil fi al-Nahw

The second volume contains the following 6 mutun:

(10) Kitab al-Kubra fi al-Mantiq
(11) Kitab Adaab al-Mut'allimin
(12) Kitab al-Hidayah fi al-Nahw
(13) Kitab Siyagh Mushkilah
(14) Kitab Sharh al-Anmudhaj
(15) Kitab al-Samadiyyah

These, of course, are only some of the Arabic linguistic works studied in the Iranian/Persian. We also notice some overlap with the Indo-Pak Subcontinent, South-East Asian, Turkish/Ottoman Traditions. We also notice that the Hidayah al-Nahw is also part of Iranian/Persian ArabicTradition but they call by the name of "al-Hidayah fi al-Nahw". The good thing about this version of the Hidayah al-Nahw is that it comes with explanatory comments and annotations all in Arabic. Moreover, the Sharh al-Anmudhaj (by al-Zamakhshari) and al-Samadiyyah make up for two thirds of the second volume (with each volume comprising about 600 pages) which makes these two works quite extensive.

So all-and-all, I think that the Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat is quite a useful work to have, and comprises an entire grammatical (morphological & syntactic) and logical curriculum with numerous mutun all in one.

SAS
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Shaykh Amr, do you know anywhere where I can find Sarf Meer separately,
I used to have an urdu and persian copy, But I was looking for a separate arabic copy.

It was one of the most popular and persian beginner's sarf texts in the indo-pak, although not so much now.

Jzk.

Lugha Man
06-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu,

I found this link to a pdf copy of the manuscript in Urdu and Arabic. Here is the link:
http://al-mostafa.info/data/arabic/depot3/gap.php?file=i001644.pdf

If you type Sarf Meer in Arabic in google there are numerous hits to choose from. Hope this helps.

Wassalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu,

Ihsaan

SAS
06-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Jazaak Allaah, Br. Ihsaan for that link,

I believe it is the persian one only, I am actually seeking an arabic translation, But will search it.

shaj1
07-29-2009, 04:52 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

Does anyone know where I can get the Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat from?

ruzbihan
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Assalamu 'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

More than 15 years ago I purchased at an Iranian bookshop in Cape Town a two volume compendium of grammatical and logical treatises (mutun) entitled: جامع المقدمات مع التصحيح والتعليق، الشيخ محمد على المدرّس الأفغاني (or Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat in short).

The first volume contains the following 9 mutun:

(1) Kitab al-Amthilah
(2) Kitab Sharh al-Amthilah
(3) Kitab Sarf Mir
(4) Kitab al-Tasrif
(5) Kitab Sharh al-Tasrif
(6) Kitab 'Awamil al-Jurjani
(7) Kitab 'Awamil Manthumah
(8) Kitab 'Awamil Mulla Muhsin
(9) Kitab Sharh al-'Awamil fi al-Nahw

The second volume contains the following 6 mutun:

(10) Kitab al-Kubra fi al-Mantiq
(11) Kitab Adaab al-Mut'allimin
(12) Kitab al-Hidayah fi al-Nahw
(13) Kitab Siyagh Mushkilah
(14) Kitab Sharh al-Anmudhaj
(15) Kitab al-Samadiyyah

These, of course, are only some of the Arabic linguistic works studied in the Iranian/Persian. We also notice some overlap with the Indo-Pak Subcontinent, South-East Asian, Turkish/Ottoman Traditions. We also notice that the Hidayah al-Nahw is also part of Iranian/Persian ArabicTradition but they call by the name of "al-Hidayah fi al-Nahw". The good thing about this version of the Hidayah al-Nahw is that it comes with explanatory comments and annotations all in Arabic. Moreover, the Sharh al-Anmudhaj (by al-Zamakhshari) and al-Samadiyyah make up for two thirds of the second volume (with each volume comprising about 600 pages) which makes these two works quite extensive.

So all-and-all, I think that the Jaami' al-Muqaddimaat is quite a useful work to have, and comprises an entire grammatical (morphological & syntactic) and logical curriculum with numerous mutun all in one.
Asslamu Alaikum,

Dear Ustad Amr,

Could you tell us where one could buy:
جامع المقدمات مع التصحيح والتعليق، الشيخ محمد على المدرّس الأفغاني

I have found an online copy but the quality is awful.

Jazakallah Khair,

Asif