LISANULARAB - ض - ARAB TONGUE (for the Revival of Arabic and the Arabic Language Sciences)  

Go Back   LISANULARAB - ض - ARAB TONGUE (for the Revival of Arabic and the Arabic Language Sciences) > Lisanularab Forums > Traditional Arabic Studies (Highly Advanced) > Adab & Nusus (Arabic Literature)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 05:07 AM

Mustafa Lutfi al-Manfaluti (Complete Works)

Assalamu 'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

This is one is particularly for Br. Ahmad 7898 and Br. Ihsaan (Lugha Man).

It is sort of an axiom in Arabic literary studies that if you wish to improve your literary Arabic then one author's works that you should read are those of Mustafa Lutfi al-Manfaluti. Today you can purchase all of al-Manfaluti's works in one volume entitled: [size="4"]مصطفى لطفي المنفلوطي : المجموعة الكاملة SIZE]. This is one edition of his complete works. In the Arabic Dept. of the University of South Africa (UNISA) someone did a complete masters thesis on al-Manfaluti and a pdf version is avaliable online, and can be downloaded from this link. The section on al-Manfaluti only starts from Ch. Four onwards p. 110 (of a total of 190 pages). So roughly 70 - 80 pages are devoted to him.

Particularly worthwhile readings of al-Manfaluti's complete works are his: al-Natharaat (reflections) and al-'Abaraat (tears). The rest of his complete works comprises entire novels - novels which others have translated into Arabic (from French) and which he then reworked into his own unique style. It is significant that the first issue that he discusses in his al-Natharaat كيف أكتب رسائلي (How I write my letters/epistles). And what is particularly interesting is that he does not want would-be writers to imitate his style of writing but urges them instead to develop their own style of writing. I personally feel that imitating someone else's style during the intial stages of one's writing career is not a problem because that can be used as a stepping stone for developing his/her own writing style after. Non-Arabs learning how to write in Arabic, it would seem, do not have a choice in this matter. If they can develop any style at all even if it is someone else's then it is better than no style. For us - non-Arabs - it might not come down to style but rather to being able to write at all, and style would be a great bonus.

While we are discussing al-Manfaluti's works, there is also one really important work that will be of great benefit to the student aspiring to become a good Arabic writer, namely, Mukhtaaraat al-Manfaluti al-Adabiyyah (al-Manfaluti's Literary Selections). This work deals with al-Manfaluti's own selections from the Arabic literary heritage of what he believes to be instances and examples of good Arabic literature. The work spans writers and poets from both the classical and modern age. This work demonstrates the importance of reading and assimilating good literature which will serve as models to be emulated by young aspiring writers. This is exactly what Sh. Abul-Hasan Ali al-Nadwi had in mind when he compiled his "Mukhtaaraat min Adab al-'Arab".

Insha Allah, be sure to have al-Manfaluti's works on your list of books to be purchased when you next go book buying.

Last edited by Amr : 06-06-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Assalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu,

Beneath is the link for الأعمال الكاملة لمصطفى لطفي المنفلوطي in two volumes free for downloading. Masha ALLAH tabaarakallah. I'm really happy to have stumbled on this. Enjoy!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B1UF6C0L

Wassalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu,

Ihsaan
Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Salaamun alaikum

Maa shaa Allaah, jazaakallaahu khairan, Ustaadhana for pointing these works out. I'll definitely be taking a look through this stuff inshaa Allaah.

And jazaakallaahu khairan Br. Ihsaan for the link too - but unfortunately one can't open that link in Saudi, it comes up as blocked, I'll try to see if I can find his works in a local bookshop inshaa Allaah.

Was-Salaam

Last edited by Ahmed7898 : 06-07-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Assalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu

Alhamdulillah I purchased الأعمال الكاملة لمصطفى لطفي المنفلوطيtoday for about $8.50 USD. It beats reading the PDF. Also, I picked up a book called فقه اللغة this is written by أبو منصور الثعالبي. ِI paid about $5.00 USD for this one. Just trying to get alhold of a book called الفروق اللغوية I have it in PDF but as I said, having the book is ten times better.

Wassalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu

Ihsaan
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Salaamun alaikum

Likewise, today I had a chance to go to the bookshops, and I found a copy of الأعمال الكاملة of al-Manfalooti. At first glance it looks very interesting, the language doesn't seem to be overly difficult, and neither too easy. I look forward to trying to work my way through it.

Jazaakallaahu khairan, Yaa Ustadh, for pointing this work out.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:39 AM

I need to rephrase what I said in the previous post. After having read a few pages of Manfaluti's A'maal al-Kaamilah I can see that it is more difficult than what I first thought but more importantly much, much richer. A page doesn't go by except that one - well me at least, my level being weak - finds scores of new words and phrases and clever constructions and comparisons.

It is an extremely rich work, wallaahu a'lam. This is the first time I've actually sat down and tried to read literature of this sort, normally I'll try to read a classic Arabic book on religion etc., so this is a nice change which should expand one's vocabulary and other core skills, inshaa Alaah.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Salaamun alaikum

Yaa Ustadh, just some things I needed help on in Manfalooti's book.

سفوح التلال
Is he referring to the base of hills and how beautiful they look?

النعماء - What type of word is this? Is he referring to happiness or happy people? I understood it to be happiness?

وأرى الثغور فرأيت الخمر المترقرقة بين ثناياها

Is my understanding correct that he was saying something like: "And I look at the front teeth and see the unpowdered/unpounded alcohol between its incisors." I.e., the alcohol has gone, been swallowed, but he can see it's original state before it was liquid, stuck there in the drinker's teeth. Or am I completely off track? ثغر is not another name for lion is it?!! Or is it that he sees the alcohol shining in those teeth?

was-salaam

This is just the first page of the book and already it's full of a wealth of information.

Last edited by Ahmed7898 : 06-12-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Wa 'alaykum as-salamu warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Yes, سفوح التلال refers to the bases of hills (and the beauty that he sees in them and all the other things that he mentions together with them).

النعماء is a synonym for النِعمة . The Qur'an uses النعماء as an opposite of الضراء, and sometimes it uses السرّاء as an opposite of الضراء such that النعماء and السرّاء are almost synonymous. Sometimes البأساء and الضراء are used in conjunction with each as in the Qur'anic verse: والصابرين في البأساء والضرّاء وحين البأس .

As for وأرى الثغور فرأيت الخمر المترقرقة بين ثناياها the inspiration for this idea could have come from the 3rd line of the poem "baanat su'aad ...".

تَجْلو عَوارِضَ ذي ظَلْمٍ إذا ابْتَسَمَتْ * كأنّهُ مُنْهَلٌ بالرَّاحِ مَعْلولُ

(she reveals teeth of a spittled mouth when she smiles , as if it is bathed in wine).
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 PM

Assalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu

Masha ALLAH! I'm going to start reading it just after I finish a book by Mahmood Muhammed Shakir inshaa ALLAH. Your making me hurry through this book to get to that one LOOOL. Subhanallah, I felt myself hit a plateau a while back. I didn't feel like I was improving a great deal and couldn't figure out why. I had just finished a cirriculum at a school and wondered how to take my Arabic to the next level. So, I started to read books like this and immediately noticed a change. It was exactly what I was missing. So, with time and perserverance you will see a change in your vocab, the way you express yourself and many other benefits and don't forget to give time to the study of Al Balaagha. Many students leave of this aspect of the language completely or hardly scratch it's surface. So keep it up as will I inshaa ALLAH. Masha ALLAH gread thread!

Wassalamu'Alaykum wa Ramatullahee wa Barakaatuhu

Ihsaan
Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Question

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Yaa Ystadhana! You introduced me to al-Manfaluti's work so you have to help me! طلبا لا أمرا. This work is so different to what I'm used to reading and the Arabic is so rich and a lot more difficult than what I had initially assumed, such that it's taking me so long just to get through a single page, but it's all worth it. Especially when he talks about how he views the Arabs of old, he paints a nostalgic, almost romantic picture of days gone by. There are a number of things I'm unclear about. Here are some I'd like you to clarify whenever you get the chance - your time, help and effort is, as always, much appreciated, fa jazaakallaahu khairan.

Al-Manfaluti said on page 2:

هوى الكرى إلى الأجفان

I didn't type the whole sentence. Does he mean that he sees the night falling with its' black wings to the ground just as the eyelid of one overcome with slumber closes over his eyes?!

وأرى مساجلاتها ومنافراتها - The meanings I picked up for these two words were:

المُسَاجَلة
أَن يَسْتَقِيَ ساقيان فيُخْرج كُلُّ واحد منهما في سَجْله مثل ما يُخْرج الآخر،
فأَيُّهما نَكَل فقد غُلِبَ، فضربته العرب مثلاً للمُفاخَرة، فإِذا قيل فلان
يُساجِل فلاناً، فمعناه أَنه يُخْرِج من الشَّرَف مثل ما يُخرِجه الآخرُ، فأَيهما

نَكَل فقد غُلِب.

والمُنافَرَةُ المفاخرة والمحاكمة

المُنافَرَةُ
أَن يفتخر الرجلان كل واحد منهما على صاحبه، ثم يُحَكِّما بينهما رجلاً كَفِعْلِ
عَلْقَمَةَ بن عُلاثَةَ مع عامر بن طُفَيْلٍ حين تَنافرا إِلى هَرِمِ بن قُطْبَةَ

الفَزارِيِّ؛ وفيهما يقول الأَعشى يمدح عامر بن الطفيل ويحمل على عَلْقَمَةَ بن
عُلاثَةَ: قد قلتُ شِعْري فمَضى فيكما، واعْتَرَفَ المَنْفُورُ للنَّافِرِ

والمَنْفُورُ: المغلوب

So it is as though he sess them competing when drawing water and sees one from among them boasting over another and claiming excellence and then seeing a third come to judge between them? Am I anywhere near?

انتجاعها مواقع الغيث - Their seeking after watering holes etc.?

فإذا جد الجد أكلت القد - I couldn't understand the meaning of القد? Even though in the footnote for it it says, "السير يقد من الجلد"

عراقيب الإبل - Is he referring to the hamstring's of camels? Camel-meat in general?

باللؤلؤ المنظوم من القيان I couldn't find the meaning of القيان?

ومذاهب طراءدها - The path's of camel's driven away? I'm laughing at myself as I type this stuff, waiting to see just how far away I am from the real meanings of these expressions, I have the feeling that I'm no where near.

والقصور وتماثيلها
تماثيل has many meanings, couldn't figure exactly which one he was associating with the palaces?

خلجة الشك - misgiving doubts (and things that they can lead to)?

لمحة الفكر - Glances of (deep) thought ...?

مجونا مستظرفا - Witty shamelessness ...?

والموتور إذا حيل بينه وبين واتره - Is he talking about one whose relative may have been killed and who has not been able to find the killer and thus is robbed of both vengeance and blood money?! (Manfaluti's in a valley and I'm in a valley in a different world!)

If, whenever you have the time Ustadhana, you could help me out with this, لأكونن لك من الشاكرين

جزاك الله خيرا

PS., Mr Lugha Man, we're going to have partner up to get through this book inshaa Allaah! The introduction seems heavy, maybe the rest of the book is lighter?

Last edited by Ahmed7898 : 06-13-2009 at 09:34 PM.